Welcome to Modern Educator

Here on this blog I hope to get a conversation going amongst students, teachers, administrators, and parents about who, what, when, why, and where we should teach technology skills for the 21st century. I am technology teacher at Truckee High School in Truckee, CA and currently teach classes like digital media, e-learning, applications, and keyboarding -- yes...still important! :) Please Join the Conversation!

Monday, February 11, 2013

Post office to cut Saturday delivery starting in August | SierraSun.com

I have to say that it has surprised me that these kind of cuts in our United States Postal Service have not occurred earlier.  As a high school teacher I found that many of my students can not remember the last time they sent a piece of mail that required paper, an envelope, and a stamp.  In fact, some have joked, "what is a stamp?"

As the Internet continues to change the way we communicate and obviously has resulted in less mail being sent via snail-mail as email and other forms of electronic communication use increase like social media; possibly the postal service will find solace in the fact that package deliveries have increased due to online shopping.  Just another example of how organizations have to evolve with the times in order to stay successful.

So, when is the last time you wrote a letter on paper, put it in an envelope, affixed a first-class stamp to it, and placed it in a mailbox?  Please comment below and share and explain where you see the future of communication going.

ARTICLE:

Post office to cut Saturday delivery starting in August | SierraSun.com:

'via Blog this'

5 comments:

  1. Being that it is the time in my life to apply, communicate, etc. with colleges, I have recently been using old-fashioned mail relatively often. For processing purposes, most colleges seem to require faxes or hard copies rather than just emails. It's probably the only time in my life where I'll need to use the Postal Service (besides packages). And as instantaneous and reliable that the internet can be, something about good old mailboxes seem more secure and tangible. Maybe that's just me?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Communication is becoming increasingly electronic. College applications, bills, letters etc.. are all being sent over email, or taken care of online.
    I think that postal services will exist for years to come because of tangible items that must be delivered such as taxes and birthday cards, but I think soon simple communication between people will be almost all electronic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The last time i sent a letter was. . . I think in elementary school when we had Pen pals but i cant pinpoint the time, I believe that communication by letter is just outdated, some argue that we should send letters by mail but there is no point with technology advancing why stay in the past.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In the future I see communication coming down to smartphones and maybe some mail during the week. Over time the mailing and postal services are going to slow down because of Americans relying on the internet to pay their bills or communicate with others.
    I cant remember the last time I actually sent a letter with an actual stamp and writing. Most of the long distance communications are happening via Skype or cell phones.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is a great idea to cut back the postal budget and only deliver five times a week. Although the last time I sent a letter was about two months ago, I recognize that many people in these modern times with technology and digital communication, no longer use the way of writing on paper, sealing it in an envelope, sticking a stamp to it and taking the time to send it via postal service. I believe in the next year or so almost nobody will be sending written letters, but packages will still be delivered in the future.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for joining in on our conversation!